About The Senator Sam J. Ervin, Jr. Library & Museum
Opened on October 17, 1990, the Senator Sam J. Ervin, Jr. Library and Museum is located in Phifer Hall on the Western Piedmont Community College main campus. The personal library of Senator Ervin has been recreated, giving visitors the chance to experience Senator Sam’s life through displays of his books and artifacts illustrating events and his interests.
Of particular note is the Senator’s desk from his Washington office that is displayed at the entrance (see photo). The Library also has on display the gavel Senator Ervin used while conducting the Watergate hearings in 1972 and 1973 in addition to other items.
Planning Your Visit
Here is general information about the Library and Museum to aid you in planning your visit.
Hours of Operation: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. weekdays and by special appointment
Location: Phifer Learning Resources Center, Second Floor, 1001 Burkemont Avenue, Morganton, NC 28655
Campus Map and Parking:
Access a campus map of Western Piedmont Community College.
The most convenient parking for the museum is available in front of the Phifer Learning Resources Center or Carr Hall. Upon entering the campus, take the first left onto Technology Drive.
- A Google Map that includes the Library’s location is available on the Contact Us page.
- Driving west on I-40 from Hickory: Take Exit #103 and turn right onto Burkemont Avenue. WPCC is on the right, 1 block up.
- Driving east on I-40 from Asheville: Take Exit #103 and turn left onto Burkemont Avenue. Cross the bridge over I-40. WPCC is on the right, 1 block up.
- Driving into Morganton on Hwy. 18 from Lenoir: Turn left onto South Sterling Street. Turn right at Burger King onto W. Fleming Drive. At NC School for the Deaf, turn left onto Burkemont Avenue. WPCC is on the left at the second traffic light.
- Driving into Morganton on Hwy. 64 from Rutherfordton: Cross over I-40. WPCC is on the right, one block beyond I-40.
On October 17, 1990, under a perfectly clear blue autumn sky, a distinguished group gathered on the campus of Western Piedmont Community College in Morganton, North Carolina to dedicate the Senator Sam J. Ervin Jr. Library and Museum.
We commemorate the founding of the Library & Museum with a copy of the program from that day. It is in PDF format (requires the free Adobe Reader).